User Manual for SPL Phonitor xe Headphone Amplifier Click to enlarge the picture
Contents of the user manual for the SPL Phonitor xe Headphone Amplifier
- Product category: Headphone Amplifiers SPL
- Brand: SPL
- Description and content of package
- Technical information and basic settings
- Frequently asked questions – FAQ
- Troubleshooting (does not switch on, does not respond, error message, what do I do if...)
- Authorized service for SPL Headphone Amplifiers
User manual for the SPL Phonitor xe Headphone Amplifier contain basic instructions
that need to be followed during installation and operation.
Before starting your appliance, the user manual should be read through carefully.
Follow all the safety instructions and warnings, and be guided by the given recommendations.
User manual is an integral part of any SPL product,
and if it is sold or transferred, they should be handed over jointly with the product.
Following the instructions for use is an essential prerequisite for protecting
health and property during use, as well as recognition of liability on the part of the manufacturer
for possible defects should you make a warranty claim. Download an official SPL user manual in which you will find instructions on how to install, use, maintain and service your product.
And do not forget – unsuitable use of a SPL product will considerably shorten its lifespan!
Product description Styled in black, the SPL Phonitor xe is a headphone amplifier designed for pro audio and hi-fi applications. It sports XLR and RCA inputs, and lets you switch between them with the turn of a knob. Output jacks for headphones are provided on both the front and rear of the Phonitor XE.
You'll note one set of 4-pin XLR inputs for balanced headphones, and one set for conventional, 1/4" unbalanced headphones. You can switch between the inputs on the front and rear, so you can compare different sets of headphones easily. Please note that you cannot use both balanced and unbalanced headphones at the same time.
Of interest to audiophiles who usually prefer loudspeakers is the Phonitor Matrix, which aims to create an experience akin to listening to studio monitors. It simulates the effect of audio emanating from one speaker hitting the opposing ear. More than a simple crossfeed controller, this Matrix can simulate different-sized listening environments and different speaker angles. This application is designed not only to promote a more realistic listening experience, but to reduce listener fatigue. The control for this is variable; you can set the level of crossfeed and set the simulated speaker angle to emulate a variety of speaker-placement scenarios. Ideally, you'd set this control to correspond to your actual loudspeaker arrangement.
You'll also note a Mode switch that dictates several types of operation. Stereo and mono playback modes are achievable through this switch, as is a Laterality mode. Laterality aims to correct the mix for any hearing damage you might have incurred throughout your long career of mixing/listening to records; if you experience broadband hearing in the left ear, for example, you can favor more signal coming into the left channel. You're given 2.25 dB of range for this control, making the adjustments very fine indeed.
Via DIP switches on the bottom of the unit, you can drive headphones that require more output power, or change the sensitivity of the RCA input between -10 dBV and 0 dBu. The Phonitor xe utilizes SPL's VOLTAiR 120V Rail Technology to maintain high-headroom and preserve audio clarity by processing audio signals with ±60 VDC of power.
- Headphone Outputs on the Front and Back
- The Phonitor xe features both balanced and standard headphone outputs on the front back. Permanently connected headphones can be routed into rear panel so the headphone cable does not get in the way. A switch on the front lets you toggle between front and rear outputs. Please note that a standard headphone output always takes priority over the balanced headphone output; there will be no signal at the balanced headphone out if you've already plugged a pair of headphones into the standard headphone output.
- VU Meters
- Two VU meters display the input levels for your selected source. The meter indicates levels from -20 to 5 dB, where 0 dB corresponds to +4 dBu. You can lower the sensitivity with the VU level switch, if you so choose.
- Dual Power Amp for Balanced Headphones
- The Phonitor xe has a built-in advanced dual-power amp that drives balanced headphones with twice the power of the standard 1/4" jack. This tightens the bass response and makes the overall playback more transparent.
- Matrix Section
- A frequency-dependent Matrix section allows you to simulate the experience of listening to different-sized monitors in different-sized rooms. You can use this control to match the headphone amp more closely to your particular environment, or to hear how the mix may sound in different environments. Use the Crossfeed knob to manipulate the apparent size of the room, and the Angle knob to adjust the apparent speaker angle.
In the Box SPL Phonitor xe Headphone Amplifier (Black) Power Cable Limited 2-Year Warranty Table of Contents
- Remote Control Compatibility
- Use any IR remote control to change settings on the Phonitor xe.
Upload User Manual
Have you got an user manual for the SPL Phonitor xe Headphone Amplifier in electronic form? Please send it to us and help us expand our library of instruction manuals.
Thank you, too, on behalf of other users.
To upload the product manual, we first need to check and make sure you are not a robot. After that, your "Submit Link" or "Upload File" will appear.
SPL PHONITOR xe Specs
| Connections || Balanced: 2 x XLR |
Unbalanced: 2 x RCA (stereo pair)
| Impedance || Balanced: Approximately 20 kOhms |
Unbalanced: Approximately 10 kOhms
| Maximum Level || 32.5 dBu, balanced and unbalanced |
| Connection || Balanced: 2 x 4-pin XLR |
Unbalanced: 2 x 1/4", phone type
| Impedance || Balanced: 0.36 Ohms |
Unbalanced: 0.18 Ohms
| Damping Factor || Balanced: 180 at 40 Ohms |
Unbalanced: 180 at 40 Ohms
| Frequency Range || Balanced: 10 Hz to 300 kHz |
Unbalanced: 10 Hz to 300 kHz
| Crosstalk || Balanced: -90 dB at 1 kHz |
Unbalanced: -90 dB at 1 kHz
| THD & Noise || Balanced: 0.00082% (at 0 dBu, 1 kHz, 100-kOhm load) |
Unbalanced: 0.00082% (at 0 dBu, 1 kHz, 100-kOhm load)
| Noise || Balanced: -98 dBu (A-weighted) |
Unbalanced: -103 dB (A-weighted)
| Dynamic Range || Balanced: 130.5 dB |
Unbalanced: 135.5 dB
| Max Output Power || 2 x 1 W at 600 Ohms |
2 x 2 W at 300 Ohms
2 x 3.7 W at 120 Ohms
2 x 2.9 W at 47 Ohms
2 x 2.7 W at 32 Ohms
All values at 30 dBu / 1 kHz
| Operating Voltage || ±60 V |
| Mains Voltage || 230 VAC / 50 Hz or 115 VAC / 60 Hz (switchable) |
| Fuses || 230 V: T 500 mA |
115 V: T 1 A
| Power Consumption || 40 VA, max |
| Standby Power Consumption || 0.7 W |
| Dimensions (WxHxD) || 10.9 x 3.9 x 13.0" / 278.0 x 100.0 x 330.0 mm, including feet |
| Weight || 11.2 lb / 5.1 kg |
Rating80% users recommend this product to others. And what about you?
This product has already been rated by 97 owners. Add your rating and experience with the product.
Ask our technicians if you have a problem with your settings,
or if anything is unclear in the user manual you have downloaded.
You can make use of our moderated discussion.
The discussion is public and helps other users of our website who may be encountering similar problems.
The discussion is empty - enter the first post
Post a new topic / query / comment:
|Request for user manual
You can’t find the operation manual you are looking for? Let us know and we will try to add the missing manual:
I’m looking for a manual / Request for manual
Current requests for instruction manuals:
NcStar scope ...
Manuel d'utilisation pour radio bidirectionnelles T600 H2O Motorola en FRANCAIS SVP...
Z53 drone ...
Latest contributions to the discussion:|
will this tv support g5 fiber input
Samsung MU6290 65" Class HDR UHD
will this tv support g5 fiberinput...
Name: John Blair
HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Inkjet
Hi, using HP Office Jet pro 6968, can I do ‘auto’scanning , meaning I can easily scan many pages or do I need to feed each page manually? thank you very much?
Swann SWADS-ALARMK Driveway Alert Kit
You make it out to be an act of Congress to get the driveway alarm manual and I just need to see the back page that is missing on mine. Guess I will figure it out with no help from you don't have all day...
Name: Frank Trucchio
Arkay Automatic Powered Stainless Steel Print
Is this unit capable to wash 20” x 24” prints, if so how many?...
12in dobsonian (s11740) sky watcher collapseable tube missing box 2 of 2
Name: tracy young
Sky-Watcher 12" Dobsonian Telescope
how can I get box 2 of 2 for dobsonian 12in collapsible sky watcher 300.. buying a floor model that is incomplete? ...