User Manual for Synology DiskStation 40TB DS418play NAS Enclosure Kit with WD NAS Drives Click to enlarge the picture
Contents of the user manual for the Synology DiskStation 40TB DS418play NAS Enclosure
- Product category: Network Attached Storage Drives Synology
- Brand: Synology
- Description and content of package
- Technical information and basic settings
- Frequently asked questions – FAQ
- Troubleshooting (does not switch on, does not respond, error message, what do I do if...)
- Authorized service for Synology Network Attached Storage Drives
User manual for the Synology DiskStation 40TB DS418play NAS Enclosure contain basic instructions
that need to be followed during installation and operation.
Before starting your appliance, the user manual should be read through carefully.
Follow all the safety instructions and warnings, and be guided by the given recommendations.
User manual is an integral part of any Synology product,
and if it is sold or transferred, they should be handed over jointly with the product.
Following the instructions for use is an essential prerequisite for protecting
health and property during use, as well as recognition of liability on the part of the manufacturer
for possible defects should you make a warranty claim. Download an official Synology user manual in which you will find instructions on how to install, use, maintain and service your product.
And do not forget – unsuitable use of a Synology product will considerably shorten its lifespan!
Product description This Kit combines the Synology DiskStation DS418play 4-Bay NAS Enclosure with four WD 10TB Red 5400 rpm SATA III 3.5" hard drives for a total storage capacity of 40TB.
In the Box
- Synology DiskStation DS418play 4-Bay NAS Enclosure Built with a dual-core processor, an AES-NI hardware encryption engine, Btrfs file system support, and Cinema 4K video transcoding, the DiskStation DS418play 4-Bay NAS Enclosure from Synology is designed as a multimedia-enhanced personal cloud station that can act as a centralized multimedia hub for those who need an all-around storage solution that has been optimized to not only safeguard data, but also transcode up to two channels of H.265/H.264 4K videos simultaneously. It is equipped with four drive bays that are capable of natively support 3.5" SATA hard drives, as well as 2.5" SATA hard drives and SSDs. Using its four drive bays, this NAS will allow you to store and share a large number of files, including videos, music, photos, and documents with up to 2048 user accounts and 200 maximum concurrent connections.
The DS418play runs on Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) OS, which is a browser-based operating system which helps to simplify managing your Synology NAS. Its CPU is a 2.0 GHz Intel Celeron J3355 Dual-Core with a burst frequency of up to 2.5 GHz, and its 2GB of DDR3L RAM, which can be upgraded to 6GB, allows frequently-used files and applications to be quickly accessed. The NAS is capable of achieving encrypted sequential read speeds of up to 226 MB/s and encrypted sequential write speeds of up to 185 MB/s, while a dedicated hardware transcoding engine can transcode H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), MPEG-2, and VC-1 video at resolutions up to 4096 x 2160 at up to 30 fps via Video Station and DS video. This allows 4K videos to be converted and played on-the-fly on devices that do not natively support Ultra HD formats.
Also featured are two USB 3.0 Type-A ports which allow it to be connected to your Windows or Mac system, and network connectivity is achieved via the dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, which support link aggregation and failover and allow your stored data to be shared with users throughout the network. Data may also be made remotely available through the free iOS and Android applications. For those who require RAID support, the DS418play supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, and 10, as well Synology Hybrid RAID and Basic RAID, each of which offers performance, data redundancy, or a combination of both. For those who do not require a RAID, JBOD is also available, allowing each drive bay to be individually utilized.
The DS418play is engineered to be energy efficient. Not only does it offer two 92 x 92mm fans to help keep the system running cool at all times, its noise dampening design of 20.5 dB(A) makes for quiet operations. The server supports numerous scheduled power on / off cycles and hard drive hibernation to further minimize power consumption and operation expenses.
The Synology DiskStation DS418play 4-Bay NAS Enclosure operates on 100-240 VAC at 50/60 Hz and includes an accessory pack, a 90W AC power adapter, a power cord, and two RJ45 LAN cables. It is protected by a limited 2-year warranty.
- Massive Storage Capacity with 4K Ultra HD Capabilities
- Synology's DS418play is designed to be a centralized multimedia hub with large storage capacities, allowing users to transcode two channels of H.265/H.264 4K videos simultaneously. With a powerful built-in AES-NI hardware encryption engine, the DS418play also provides encrypted file transmission with sequential reads of up to 226 MB/s and sequential writes of up to 185 MB/s. It also features a 2.0 GHz Intel Celeron J3355 Dual-Core processor, 2GB of DDR3L RAM, dual Gigabit Ethernet ports with link aggregation and failover, and eco-friendly power usage, with 5.57W during HDD hibernation and 29.01W during HDD access.
- 4K Multimedia Server
- Access and stream your 4K media content virtually anytime and anywhere. The DS418play supports 4K H.264/H.265 online transcoding via Video Station and DS video, allowing 4K videos to be converted and played on-the-fly on other computers, smartphones, and media players that originally do not support Ultra HD formats.
- Next-Generation File System for Improved Data Protection
- The Btrfs file system introduces advanced storage technologies and optimized snapshots to help prevent data corruption and reduce maintenance overhead. While ensuring high-level data integrity, it also offers flexible, efficient data protection and recovery tools.
Flexible Shared Folder / User Quota System
Provides comprehensive quota control on user accounts and shared folders.
Provides schedulable and storage capacity-saving data protection with 1024 shared folder backups and 65,000 system-wide snapshots.
File- or Folder-Level Data Restoration
Accelerates data recovery, providing more flexibility for businesses.
Automatic File Self-Healing
Detects and recovers corrupted files without user intervention.
- Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)
- Storage management is easy with Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) technology. SHR is an automated RAID management system allowing you to create and expand storage volumes and migrate RAID types without requiring details on RAID. SHR provides 1- to 2-disk redundancy to safeguard your data during drive failures.
SHR maximizes the data capacity of your RAID when different sizes of HDDs are used.
For novice users who have no technical background and still want to protect their data using RAID technology, a convenient installation wizard will guide you through all the steps during your first installation.
You can add new disks on-the-fly in Storage Manager with a simple click.
While creating a volume, you can plan ahead and leave empty and unallocated space for future usage.
- User-Friendly File Access with QuickConnect
- Access files on your Synology NAS over the Internet without the hassle of setting up port forwarding rules, DDNS, or other complicated network settings. QuickConnect allows you to connect via a secure, customizable address, so that you can instantly access media and work files on most Internet-connected devices with no additional charge.
- Powered by Synology DSM
- Cloud Station Suite
Synchronize cross-platform data automatically with file version control on all your devices.
Synology Office, Calendar, and Chat guarantee a secure and high-performance private communication and user-friendly content organization.
Powerful built-in file management and sharing services.
Synology's DSM operating system has an intuitive user interface and powerful capabilities.
Simplified backup solution for your Windows, Mac, and mobile devices.
Comprehensive built-in security tools are constantly updated to tackle evolving threats and protect your devices.
Table of Contents
- DiskStation DS418play 4-Bay NAS Enclosure uzsawqtcbbxssfsretdfqxqbryzuvweybaq
- Accessory Pack
- 90W AC Power Adapter
- AC Power Cord
- 2 x RJ45 LAN Cables
- Limited 2-Year Warranty
Upload User Manual
Have you got an user manual for the Synology DiskStation 40TB DS418play NAS Enclosure Kit with WD NAS Drives in electronic form? Please send it to us and help us expand our library of instruction manuals.
Thank you, too, on behalf of other users.
To upload the product manual, we first need to check and make sure you are not a robot. After that, your "Submit Link" or "Upload File" will appear.
- Synology DiskStation DS418play 4-Bay NAS Enclosure
| Number of Bays || 4 x 3.5" |
| Media Card Slots || None |
| Maximum Filled Capacity || 48 TB |
| Connections || 2 x USB Type-A (USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gb/s)) |
2 x RJ45 (Gigabit Ethernet)
| Compatible Drive Interface || SATA |
| Hot-Swap Support || Yes |
| Link Aggregation and Failover Support || Yes |
| Total Raw Capacity || None |
| Type || None |
| Flash Memory || None |
| Processor || Intel Celeron J3355 Dual-Core |
| Clock Speed || Base: 2.0GHz / Maximum Boost: 2.5 GHz |
| Total Installed Memory || 2 GB DDR3L |
| User-Replaceable Memory || 1 x 2 GB |
| Total Memory Slots || 2 |
| Maximum Memory Capacity || 6 GB |
| Supported Protocols || AFP |
| OS Compatibility || Windows 7 |
macOS 10.11 or Later
| File System Formats Supported || External: Btrfs, EXT3, EXT4, FAT, HFS+, NTFS, exFAT |
Internal: Btrfs, EXT4
| Supported Browsers || Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari |
| Supported Languages || Brazilian Portuguese |
| Power Consumption || 29.01 W (Typical) |
5.57 W (Standby)
| Power Source || AC Adapter |
| AC Input Power || 100 to 240 VAC, 50 / 60 Hz |
| DC Input Power || 90 VDC |
| VPN Server Connections || 20 |
| Operating Temperature || 40 to 104°F / 4 to 40°C |
| Operating Humidity || 5 to 95% |
| Storage Temperature || -5 to 140°F / -21 to 60°C |
| Certifications || BSMI, CE, EAC, FCC, RCM, as per Manufacturer |
| Cooling || 2 x 92 mm Fans |
| Noise Level || 20.5 dBA |
| Status Monitoring || LED Indicator |
| Dimensions || 6.5 x 7.8 x 8.8" / 166.0 x 199.0 x 223.0 mm |
| Weight || 4.9 lb / 2.2 kg |
| Box Dimensions (LxWxH) || 11.339 x 10.315 x 9.606" |
Rating70% users recommend this product to others. And what about you?
This product has already been rated by 31 owners. Add your rating and experience with the product.
Ask our technicians if you have a problem with your settings,
or if anything is unclear in the user manual you have downloaded.
You can make use of our moderated discussion.
The discussion is public and helps other users of our website who may be encountering similar problems.
The discussion is empty - enter the first post
Post a new topic / query / comment:
|Request for user manual
You can’t find the operation manual you are looking for? Let us know and we will try to add the missing manual:
I’m looking for a manual / Request for manual
Current requests for instruction manuals:
Glow worm Betacom 324C...
Honeywell Home thermostat Manual for operation and instruction...
service tag 92yxsd2. need windows 10 pro operating manual...
LiveU Solo SDI HDMI Video Audio...
Latest contributions to the discussion:|
lenovo active 1 does not pair with my ideapad 5
Lenovo Active Pen
lenovo active 1 does not pair with my ideapad 5 ...
what version of pcie x16 does my inspiron 3668 have
Name: James Robert Rhodes
Dell Inspiron 3668 Desktop Computer
been trying to find what version PCIe my computer has no help from dell product page. been thinking about adding a graphics card and need to know this....
link to a user manual/instructions
LogicKeyboard Large Print ALBA Mac Pro
Please provide me with a link to user manual/ instructions for
Largeprint White-on-Black - PC ASTRA 2 Backlit Keyboard - US EnglishLKB-LPWB-A2PC-US
An early reply will be appreciated
channels available with visio D32f4-J01,2021
Name: Judie Conlan
VIZIO D-Series 32" Class HD SmartCast
I watch Britbox, Acorn, and PBS most of the time. Are these channels available with this smart TV? I have avoided buying smart TVs in the past because I couldn't add the channels I like. Judie Conlan...
La pantalla está negra, no le entra energía ...