User Manual for MSI Meg X299 Creation LGA 2066 E-ATX Motherboard Click to enlarge the picture
Contents of the user manual for the MSI Meg X299 Creation LGA 2066
- Product category: Motherboards MSI
- Brand: MSI
- Description and content of package
- Technical information and basic settings
- Frequently asked questions – FAQ
- Troubleshooting (does not switch on, does not respond, error message, what do I do if...)
- Authorized service for MSI Motherboards
User manual for the MSI Meg X299 Creation LGA 2066 contain basic instructions
that need to be followed during installation and operation.
Before starting your appliance, the user manual should be read through carefully.
Follow all the safety instructions and warnings, and be guided by the given recommendations.
User manual is an integral part of any MSI product,
and if it is sold or transferred, they should be handed over jointly with the product.
Following the instructions for use is an essential prerequisite for protecting
health and property during use, as well as recognition of liability on the part of the manufacturer
for possible defects should you make a warranty claim. Download an official MSI user manual in which you will find instructions on how to install, use, maintain and service your product.
And do not forget – unsuitable use of a MSI product will considerably shorten its lifespan!
Product description Powered exclusively by Intel X-Series processors, the Meg X299 Creation LGA 2066 E-ATX Motherboard from MSI is made for designers and content creators. Packed with features to unleash the overall performance of multi-core processors, its features and element-explosion design meet the demanding requirements for creating your own masterpiece. This motherboard will fit in E-ATX sized cases, supports the LGA 2066 socket and the Intel X299 chipset, and is compatible with Windows 10 (64-bit).
The E-ATX form factor of the Meg X299 Creation has eight 288-pin DDR4 slots that support up to 128GB of memory, although the top memory speed depends on the installed processor. Processors compatible with four-channel DDR4 support quad-channel memory architecture up 4200 MHz (OC) memory, while processors compatible with two-channel DDR4 support dual-channel memory architecture up to 4133 MHz (OC). For storage, there are eight SATA III 6 Gb/s ports, one U.2 connector that supports NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 storage, and two M.2 Socket 3 with M key that support type 2242, 2260, 2280, and 22110 SATA III and PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs, plus one additional M.2 slot that supports type 2242, 2260, and 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs. The Meg X299 Creation supports Intel Optane Memory and allows its storage to be configured as RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10. SATA devices support RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10, while PCIe M.2 devices support RAID 0 and 1.
There is also one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port (rear panel), one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port (rear panel), six USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports (rear panel), two USB 2.0 Type-A ports (rear panel), and one USB 3.1 Gen 2 port (internal), plus more internal USB headers that support USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 2.0. For those looking to expand their system using PCIe, there are four PCIe 3.0 x16 slots and one PCIe 3.0 x1 slot. The PCIe 3.0 x16 slots support different bandwidths depending on whether the installed CPU has 44 lanes, 28 lanes, or 16 lanes.
This motherboard does not support integrated graphics, meaning that users will need to purchase a dedicated and compatible graphics card of their choice. Or, install MSI's THUNDERBOLT M3 card, which delivers 4K video with dual Thunderbolt 3 and DisplayPort outputs. For users looking to take advantage of multiple GPUs, the Meg X299 Creation supports 4-Way NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX technologies.
Using the Realtek ALCS1220 7.1-channel HD audio codec, the Meg X299 Creation can support audio with higher fidelity than standard controllers. Audio can also be output using the integrated five 3.5mm audio outputs, S/PDIF output, or front panel audio connectors. Protection is provided by a limited 3-year warranty.
- Stay Cool for Improved Performance
- Cooling your PC is essential for reliable performance. MSI motherboards feature a solid and heavy heatsink, and enough fan headers to allow you to cool your system any way you want.
- Temperature Management
- Multiple fan connectors and thermal sensors allow you to set up a cool and silent system through automatic or manual control of your fans.
- M.2 Shield FROZR
- SSDs can start to lower their performance when getting hot. Part of the motherboard's heatsink design, M.2 Shield FROZR, is the next generation M.2 thermal solution to avoid this by offering improved thermal protection to make sure that SSDs maintain their performance.
- Fully Controllable in BIOS and Software
- MSI motherboards let you manage speeds and temperatures for all your system and CPU fans. Total Fan Control allows you check your primary system characteristics in a simplified graphical interface. You can also set up to four temperature targets for their CPU and motherboard, which will adjust the fan speeds automatically.
- Autodetect DC or PWM Mode with Hysteresis
- MSI fan headers automatically detect fans running in DC or PWM mode for optimal tuning of fan speeds and silence. Hysteresis also makes your fans spin up fluently to make sure your system stays silent.
- Optimized for Water Cooling
- This motherboard is designed to support the most popular All-in-One and customized water-cooling solutions on the market. A dedicated water pump PIN header supports up to 2A, giving you full control of the water-pump speed. A clearly marked "keep out zone" allows for easy and safe installation.
- User-Friendly Design
- MSI motherboards offer a convenient design for DIY users, including multiple system tuning and troubleshooting tools to push your system to new heights and satisfy even the most demanding tweaker. This makes it easy to install your own motherboard without issues.
- Keep Out Zone
- MSI motherboards' circuitry ensure the case standoff keep-out zones are pure and clean, preventing any component contact or damage to the motherboard.
- XL Clip
- The enlarged PCIe clip helps you swap or remove devices more easily and makes the PCIe slot stronger and safer.
- Easy Button 3
- This motherboard features accessible physical buttons for instantly resetting and powering up/down your system. The buttons are illuminated so you can easily spot them in a dark environment.
- Debug LED
- Run into trouble? The digital LED display will indicate the source of the problem so you know exactly where to look to get up and running again.
- EZ Debug LED
- Run into trouble? Onboard LEDs for key components will indicate the source of the problem so you know exactly where to look to get up and running again.
- Boot Up
- Run into trouble when updating your BIOS or somehow corrupted it? Don't worry, System Saver offers three easy to use options to successfully boot your system again.
Helps to restore the BIOS default settings which helps in 99% of the cases to successfully boot again.
Run into trouble? Simply flash the BIOS version and continue gaming within minutes with BIOS Flashback+. It even works without hardware!
Having two physical BIOS chips allows to have a plan B.
- MSI motherboards are certified by strict mechanics that feature a convenient pin-header keep out zone and friendly SATA & USB locations for compatibility with a wide range of components and devices, so DIY user can pick and choose the components they want. More than that, they offer a dedicated Qualified Vendor List (QVL) for memory. Combining with MSI DDR4 Boost technology, MSI provides broad compatibility even over clocking, so you confirm and choose the gaming rig as you want.
- Processor Support
- MSI X299 motherboards support Intel Core X-series processors. Combined with MSI Core Boost technology, you can achieve high levels of performance with a wide variety of CPUs.
- Stability & Compatibility Testing
- MSI conducts thorough memory testing with the popular memory brands under extreme conditions to ensure your system runs stable. Their memory partners include brands like Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, G.Skill, and many more to optimize memory modules, configurations, and even improve overclocking.
BIOS and Software
- Apps to Improve Efficiency
- With years of experience in creating performance-enhancing tools that are easy to use, high quality applications are at your disposal. Use these tools to get the most out of your motherboard. Moreover, MSI made sure our BIOS contains the latest options and is easy to use. The extensive features let you fine-tune your system to deliver reliable performance.
- Dragon Center
- MSI's UI merges all software functions into one specific application, MSI Dragon Center. It not only integrates MSI software functions, but also syncs MSI desktop products to work together, providing an improved user experience.
MSI Gaming Mode provides a suitable setting for your whole gaming system, bring you an improved gaming experience with one click.
Need more power from your CPU and memory to get more frames per second? MSI Game Boost enables one-second overclocking, giving you the performance boost you need.
Easily program your most used commands and execute them with a single keystroke. You're free to choose any key you want, so choose wisely.
USB Speed Up
When enabled, it optimizes your devices for better transfer speeds and can provide up to a 20% increase in USB performance, saving a lot of time when transferring data.
OC Setting With an intuitive interface, OC Setting allows you to tune settings to increase system stability, maximize performance, and optimize your system's cooling features.
Total Fan Control
Total Fan Control allows you to take control of your fans. You can also set up to four temperature targets for the CPU and motherboard, which will adjust the fan speeds automatically.
A single click sets all your key components to high levels of performance and makes sure other software applications won't impact your virtual adventure.
Never miss out on important updates. MSI Live Update automatically downloads and installs the latest drivers, BIOS, and software so you can focus on your game.
- MSI App Player
- Developed under an exclusive partnership with BlueStacks, the MSI APP Player brings a seamless gaming experience between mobile games and PC platforms, and leverages customized features, such as specific keyboard lighting and better graphics with multi-task works.
- Click BIOS 5
- MSI made sure their BIOS contains the latest options and is easy to use for everyone. These extensive features let you fine-tune your system to deliver reliable performance.
Safely overclock your CPU with a single button for more performance.
Extreme Memory Profiles which simplify RAM overclocking on Intel motherboards.
Allows the user to conveniently flash, or upgrade the BIOS from the CMOS Setup Utility.
Shows you critical hardware information in real time, including temperature, usage, clock speed, and voltage.
Total Fan Control
Check and manage speeds and temperatures for your system and CPU fans.
Using an optimized formatting algorithm, you can enjoy fast SSD performance.
Memory Try It
This is a good option to get faster speeds out of your system memory and gaming performance.
M.2 Genie makes setting up a RAID 0 for M.2 and U.2 more user-friendly and less time consuming.
Search & Favorites
A permanent search & favorite option in the top right corner can be used to find what you need.
- Look Cool While Keeping Cool
- High-quality materials and smart fan optimizations contribute to cooling essential components, which is key to making sure your system runs stable and delivers the high performance.
- Core Boost
- Core Boost technology combines MSI's layout and optimized power design, which allows for faster and undistorted current delivery to the CPU at pin-point precision. This supports multi-core CPUs, creating good conditions for CPU overclocking.
- 13+1 Phase Power Design
- Unleash and sustain high performance with an aggressive VRM design built with a total of 12 digital CPU power phases. Combining triple power connectors and Core Boost technology, this motherboard is ready for the challenge of high-end processors.
- One-Second Overclocking
- MSI Game Boost enables one-second overclocking, giving you the performance boost you need to get more frames per second.
- Load-Line Calibration
- What you set, is what you get. LLC makes sure your CPU voltage remains 100% stable under almost any load. This improves stability you need more CPU performance.
- Overvoltage Protection
- Prevents potential short circuit damage to the CPU and other critical components.
- DigitALL Power Design
- A fully digital power design allows for faster and undistorted current delivery to the CPU at pin-point precision. This creates conditions for CPU overclocking.
- Triple Power Connectors
- Triple 8-pin connectors deliver adequate power for multi-core CPUs, unleashing fast performance with reliable motherboards for an improved gaming experience and extreme overclocking.
- Memory Performance
- An optimized layout design and a fully isolated memory circuitry ensures stability and performance. You won't have to worry about your system crashing during games with MSI DDR4 Boost.
- Overclocking XMP Profile
- The XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles) in MSI's BIOS are tested and certified by MSI OC lab. It is easy to enable with auto power settings to get the memory speed and stability you need.
- Fast and Future-Ready Storage
- MSI motherboards support the latest storage standards, which allows users to connect most fast storage devices. Start games faster, load levels faster, and have an advantage over your enemies.
- M.2 XPANDER-AERO
- You can find Triple Turbo M.2 with Shield FROZR on the Meg X299 Creation. In addition, another accessory can be found in the packaging: the M.2 XPANDER-AERO. This PCI-Express card offers four extra M.2 slots to increase your storage capacity at fast speeds.
- Intel Optane - Boost Your HDD to Perform Like an SSD
- Gamers and PC enthusiasts can now enjoy the performance of an SSD on their HDD by coupling it with an Intel Optane Memory device. Intel Optane technology provides a combination of high throughput, low latency, high quality of service, and high endurance.
- Virtual RAID on CPU
- The Intel Virtual RAID on CPU, VROC, unseals the PCIe lanes direct from processor in order to configure a bootable RAID array, rather than the 32 Gb/s DMI bottlenecks from the chipset. With Intel VROC, you can take advantage of fast SSD speeds during game loading.
- VROC with M.2 XPANDER-AERO
- Build a prompt OS disk with four more Turbo M.2 devices in RAID 0 directly from the processor. Please note that you will need a VROC upgrade key for full functionality when the 90-day trial period expires.
- Storage Boost Your Storage Performance
- This tool is very simple to use and automatically detects your storage devices connected to the system. When enabled, Storage Boost optimizes your SSDs to keep your system fast and maximize storage performance, saving you a lot of time when loading or transferring data.
- Easy RAID Setup with M.2 Genie
- Looking to go all out in terms of raw data speed and put multiple SSDs in RAID 0? Setting this up can prove to be quite the challenge. That's why MSI created M.2 Genie, a feature to make setting up RAID 0 for M.2 and U.2 much easier and less time consuming.
- Maximize USB Device Performance
- Read and write your files quickly over USB. MSI offers a wide variety of options to connect and boost your USB devices, delivering fast transfer speeds up to 10 Gb/s.
- Good Craftsmanship & the Right Tools
- A great designer can't do anything without professional equipment. The Meg X299 Creation features USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB 3.1 Gen 1, and USB 2.0, with Type-A and Type-C interfaces, providing excellent performance for your devices.
- 10 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 2
- Use multiple USB 3.1 Gen 2 devices with the Lighting ASmedia 3142 USB 3.1 Gen 2 controller. MSI motherboards offer fast speeds, even when connecting multiple USB devices at the same time. The USB connectors are covered with gold to ensure a better signal and performance.
- Professional Sound Quality
- Deliver high sound quality through the use of premium-quality audio components and get an immersive sound experience. MSI motherboards let you enjoy breathtaking sound to create dynamic soundscapes.
- Audio Boost 4
- High Definition ALC1220 Audio Processor
Supports Direct Stream Digital (DSD) Super Audio CD playback and recording (120 dB SNR / 32-bit).
High-Quality Audio Capacitors
A high-fidelity sound experience with strong acoustics and realism for studio-level headphones.
Golden Audio Jacks with S/PDIF
Keep your sound natural by transmitting your audio with a digital signal.
- Isolated Audio Design
- EMI-shielded HD audio processors let you enjoy a pure sound quality in front and rear connectors.
- Separated Audio Layers for Clean Left & Right Channels
- Using separated layers in the PCB helps ensure equally pristine sound for both left and right audio channels.
- Nahimic 3
- Get ready to be amazed by Nahimic 3 and live gaming immersion like never before! With a simple and intuitive UI, Nahimic 3 not only further enhances in-game 3D surround sound, but also offers even more finite control over your music, movies, and conference calls.
- Voice Boost
- Hear your teammates clearly but still enjoy your audio. Voice Boost automatically reduces the game's audio when teammates speak, and sets volume back when no one speaks.
- De-Pop Protection
- Audio Boost protects your ears by eliminating those annoying loud popping sounds when you plug/unplug devices or turn your PC on/off.
- Dedicated Headphone Amplifier that Auto Detects Impedance
- The built-in dedicated headphone amplifier rewards audiophiles with headphones up to 600 Ohms impedance by delivering studio-grade sound quality from your gaming PC. Audio Boost 4 automatically detects the proper impedance for your headphones and adjusts the output for the best sound quality.
- Stable, Secure, and Fast Networking
- Optimized for content creation, professional and multimedia use, this high-quality network solution is equipped to get ready to serve you with 24/7 reliability and stability when transferring large amounts of data.
- 2.5G LAN
- The Meg X299 Creation features high-bandwidth and low-latency dual Ethernet networks for demanding creators and power users. Onboard 2.5 Gb/s connectivity provides fast data transfer speeds. MSI LAN Manager automatically classifies and prioritizes the latency sensitivity for your applications, giving you an online experience with low latency.
- Low-Latency LAN Powered by Intel
- This model comes equipped with a network solution from Intel. Their high-quality Gigabit LAN networking component is optimized for professional and multimedia use with performance to deliver a secure, stable, and fast network connection.
- Intel Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) and Bluetooth 5.0
- Intel Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) and Bluetooth 5.0 solution uses smart MU-MIMO technology, delivering AC speeds up to 1.73 Gb/s without any cable limitations.
- Good craftsmanship depends on use of the right tools, and this motherboard is tailor-made for designers and content creators, with features and designs that meet the demanding requirements for creating your own masterpiece.
- 4K Video Experience
- The Meg X299 Creation features an exclusive expansion card, the THUNDERBOLT M3. Offering dual DisplayPort and dual Thunderbolt 3 for the full 4K video experience, accelerate content creation workflow and team productivity with the ability to move massive files, images, and video. Daisy-chain up to six Thunderbolt devices with a single cable at speeds faster than USB. This card is sold separately.
- Create Your Masterpiece
- The Meg X299 Creation comes with a look and feel inspired by the concept of element explosion. It is packed with features to unleash the overall performance for multi-core CPUs. Tailor-made for designers and content creators, its features and design meet the demanding requirements for creating your own masterpiece.
- Mystic Light
- MSI Mystic Light provides functionality to control RGB light all around your ecosystem. Select the available colors from the palette to match your favorite mood. MSI offers multiple colors and variety effects for you to set up the whole rig by your own way.
- Mystic Light Extension
- Still not satisfied with the decoration on the ecosystem? The Mystic Light Extension will help you to have more attractive way to decorate you gaming rig with LED strips that is controlled by the Mystic Light application.
- The JRGB pin header provides the max 3A / 12V power supply for the up to 9.8' / 3.0m of 5050 RGB LED strips showing a single color.
- Mystic Light Sync
- MSI Mystic Light SYNC is built with open SDK for your peripherals. With the Mystic Light application, you can easily control all the colors and effects in one application.
- Built on Lasting Quality
- Using fine quality components and integrating technological innovations delivers a professional experience. Rigorous quality testing under extreme conditions ensures a reliable, long-lasting, and high performance motherboard.
- Shield Your Memory Signal with Steel Armor
- Steel Armor protects your memory and memory slots from both physical damage and electrical overcurrent by adding extra ground points. But it also ensures a clean data signal for your memory by shielding it from electromagnetic interference (EMI), for a smooth gaming experience.
- Fortify Your System with PCIe Steel Armor
- MSI PCI Express Steel Armor slots are armed with more solder points on the motherboard for a stronger hold, preventing any damage due to heavy-weight graphics cards. Steel Armor also protects PCI Express signals against electromagnetic interference for a pure gaming experience and even higher overclocking.
- Stable Gaming with High-Quality Components
- MSI uses high quality components, which are shielded to make sure your system runs smoothly under the most extreme conditions. This includes humidity, temperature, circuit, ESD, and EMI protection.
- Solid CAPs
- With their aluminum core design, Solid CAPs are made for high-end motherboards. Not only do Solid CAPs could provide lower Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR), but they also work firmly up to ten years.
- Dark Choke
- A special core design allows the Dark Choke to run at a lower temperature, offering better power efficiency and stability.
- Motherboard Protection
- ASUS has made sure you can enjoy your system thoroughly. MSI motherboards feature Double ESD protection with double layer grounding around the motherboard's mounting holes, preventing electrostatic discharge (ESD) surges from damaging the motherboard.
UPC: 824142169872 In the Box MSI Meg X299 Creation LGA 2066 E-ATX Motherboard 4 x SATA III 6 Gb/s Cables 1 to 2 RGB LED Extension Y Cable (31.5" / 80cm) Corsair RGB LED Extension Cable (19.7" / 50cm) Rainbow RGB LED Extension Cable (31.5" / 80cm) Thermistor Cable Thunderbolt Cable M.2 Xpander-AERO SLI HB Bridge L ThunderboltM3 Antenna Set Case Badge SATA Cable Labels I/O Shielding 3 x M.2 Screws Limited 3-Year Warranty Quick start Guide PDF 8.4mb Table of Contents
- Windows 10 Certified
- With MSI, you benefit from compatibility and a worry-free user experience when using Microsoft Windows 10. With true dedication to performance, MSI's R&D team has made sure everything works as intended when using the latest version of Microsoft Windows on MSI products.
Upload User Manual
Have you got an user manual for the MSI Meg X299 Creation LGA 2066 E-ATX Motherboard in electronic form? Please send it to us and help us expand our library of instruction manuals.
Thank you, too, on behalf of other users.
To upload the product manual, we first need to check and make sure you are not a robot. After that, your "Submit Link" or "Upload File" will appear.
MSI MEG X299 CREATION Specs
| Chipset || Intel X299 |
| CPU Socket || LGA 2066 |
| USB || 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C |
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A
6 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A
2 x USB 2.0 Type-A
| Thunderbolt || None |
| Display || None |
| Audio || 5 x 3.5 mm |
1 x S/PDIF
| Ethernet / Controller || 1 x Realtek RTL8125-CG 2.5G LAN |
1 x Intel I219-V Gigabit
| PS/2 || 1 x PS/2 |
| Wi-Fi Antenna || 2 x Connector |
| Buttons || BIOS Flashback, Clear CMOS |
| Memory Slots || 8 x 288-Pin |
| Memory Support || DDR4 2133, 2400, 2666, 2800, 2933, 3000, 3200, 3333, 3400, 3466, 3600, 3733, 3800, 4000, 4100, 4200 MHz |
| Maximum Capacity || 128 GB |
| Channel Architecture || Quad Channel |
| SATA || 8 x SATA III |
| M.2 || 2 x M Key 2242, 2260, 2280, 22110 (PCIe 3.0 x4, SATA III) |
1 x M Key 2242, 2260, 2280 (PCIe 3.0 x4)
| U.2 || 1 |
| Optane Memory Support || Yes |
| RAID Support || RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 (SATA) |
RAID 0, 1 (M.2)
| Expansion Slots || 4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 |
1 x PCIe 3.0 x1
| USB || 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Header (Supports 1 USB Type-C Ports) |
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Header (Supports 4 USB Type-A Ports)
2 x USB 2.0 Header (Supports 4 USB Type-A Ports)
| Multi-GPU Support || 4-Way NVIDIA SLI |
4-Way AMD CrossFireX
| Air Cooling || 1 x 4-Pin CPU |
6 x 4-Pin System
1 x 3-Pin W_FLOW
1 x Thermal Sensor
| Liquid Cooling || 1 x 4-Pin Pump |
| Power Connectors || 1 x 24-Pin Mainboard |
3 x 8-Pin CPU
1 x 4-Pin CPU
| Security || Chassis Intrusion, TPM Module |
| Audio || None |
| Diagnostics || Power, Reset |
| Add-On || 1 x Thunderbolt Card Header |
| I/O Connection Headers || AAFP |
| Audio Codec || Realtek ALC1220 (7.1-Channel) |
| Bluetooth || 5.0 |
| Wi-Fi || Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) (MU-MIMO) |
| Supported Operating Systems || Windows 10 (64-Bit) |
| Form Factor || E-ATX |
| Dimensions || 12 x 10.7" / 30.48 x 27.18 cm |
| Package Weight || 7.305 lb |
| Box Dimensions (LxWxH) || 13.9 x 11.8 x 4.9" |
Rating80% users recommend this product to others. And what about you?
This product has already been rated by 72 owners. Add your rating and experience with the product.
Ask our technicians if you have a problem with your settings,
or if anything is unclear in the user manual you have downloaded.
You can make use of our moderated discussion.
The discussion is public and helps other users of our website who may be encountering similar problems.
The discussion is empty - enter the first post
Post a new topic / query / comment: