User Manual for QNAP TS-873 8-Bay NAS Enclosure Click to enlarge the picture
Contents of the user manual for the QNAP TS-873 8-Bay NAS Enclosure
- Product category: NAS Enclosures QNAP
- Brand: QNAP
- Description and content of package
- Technical information and basic settings
- Frequently asked questions – FAQ
- Troubleshooting (does not switch on, does not respond, error message, what do I do if...)
- Authorized service for QNAP NAS Enclosures
User manual for the QNAP TS-873 8-Bay NAS Enclosure contain basic instructions
that need to be followed during installation and operation.
Before starting your appliance, the user manual should be read through carefully.
Follow all the safety instructions and warnings, and be guided by the given recommendations.
User manual is an integral part of any QNAP product,
and if it is sold or transferred, they should be handed over jointly with the product.
Following the instructions for use is an essential prerequisite for protecting
health and property during use, as well as recognition of liability on the part of the manufacturer
for possible defects should you make a warranty claim. Download an official QNAP user manual in which you will find instructions on how to install, use, maintain and service your product.
And do not forget – unsuitable use of a QNAP product will considerably shorten its lifespan!
Product description Powered by a 2.1 GHz AMD RX-421ND Quad-Core processor, which can be boosted up to 3.4 GHz, and 8GB of DDR4 RAM, which can be upgraded to 64GB, the TS-873 8-Bay NAS Enclosure from QNAP is a high-performance and energy efficient system that provides two PCIe 3.0 x4 slots that can accommodate M.2 SSD caching/10GbE connectivity, a wireless network card, and an entry-level graphics card to boost performance for 4K video performance. The TS-873 allows you to flexibly deploy a wide range of applications with a more affordable budget.
Network connectivity is achieved using four Gigabit Ethernet ports. When two 10GbE cards are installed in the PCIe slots and used simultaneously, read speeds are supported up to 2379 MB/s and write speeds can reach 1779 MB/s. When transferring data with 10GbE and volume encryption, read speeds max out at 2332 MB/s and write speeds go up to 1724 MB/s.
This 8-bay enclosure natively supports 3.5" SATA III hard drives, and 2.5" hard drives and SSDs are also supported using included 2.5" drive flat head screws. There are also two M.2 2260/2280 SATA III SSD slots. In order to enhance data transfers, SSD caching is supported on all eight drive bays and both M.2 slots. Using the four 5 Gb/s USB 3.0 Type-A ports, this QNAP NAS can be connected to other devices, allowing you to easily transfer large media files and expand NAS storage. With a separately sold SAS PCIe expansion card and mini-SAS cable, this NAS can be expanded via two UX-800, UX-500P, or four REXP-1000 Pro expansion enclosures. Additionally, the TS-873 is validated with AES-NI and FIPS 140-2 AES 256-bit encryption, helping to prevent sensitive business data from unauthorized access and breaches.
QNAP has engineered this NAS to also support RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, and 60, each of which offers data redundancy, performance, or a combination of both. For those who do not require a RAID, JBOD and single disk modes are also available. Included is a a power cord, two Ethernet cables, two M.2 heatsinks, two flat head screws for M.2 SSDs, and 24 flat head screws for 2.5" HDDs. Protection is provided by a limited 2-year warranty.
- Increased NAS Potential with Two PCIe Slots
- The TS-873 features two PCIe Gen3 x4 slots, allowing for installing single/dual-port 10GbE NICs to accelerate applications that demand higher bandwidth such as virtualization, media workflows, and backup/restoration tasks. Or, install a 10 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 2 (USB 3.1) expansion card for transferring large media files to and from USB storage. You can also install QM2 cards, wireless network cards, or an entry-level graphics card to extend NAS functionality.
- 2.1 GHz AMD R-Series RX-421ND Quad-Core
- Equipped with a 2.1 GHz AMD R-Series RX-421ND Quad-Core processor (turbo core up to 3.4 GHz), with 4GB dual-channel DDR4 RAM (upgradeable to 64GB), the TS-873 enables fast multitasking with low power consumption for up to 2190 MB/s throughput with a 10GbE configuration. With a hardware-accelerated AES-NI encryption engine, the TS-873 provides encryption performance up to 2169 MB/s (with AES 256-bit full NAS volume encryption) to boost system performance while ensuring the safety of sensitive business data stored on the NAS.
- Hardware Engineering
- The strong and feature-packed hardware bolsters overall system performance. Coupled with a flexible and expandable architecture, the TS-873 can fulfill diverse application needs.
M.2 SSD LED
Shows M.2 SSD status and data access
Compatible with the QNAP RM-IR004 remote control (sold separately) for use with multimedia applications and QButton functionality
2 x PCIe Gen3 Expansion Slots
PCIe Gen3 x4 supports QM2 cards, 10GbE LAN, wireless network cards, entry-level graphics card, and various PCIe expansion cards
USB One-Touch Copy
Press the "Copy" button to back up data from USB storage to the NAS, or alternatively to back up data from the NAS to USB storage
Up to 64GB DDR4 RAM
Supports four DDR4 SO-DIMM memory modules (comes preinstalled with 4GB RAM)
2 x M.2 SSD slots
Supports SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 SSDs with 2260 and 2280 form factors, allowing flexibility in tiered storage configuration and enables cache acceleration
Compartmentalized Smart Cooling
Separately detects the CPU and hard drive temperatures to dynamically control fan speeds for quieter operations
AMD R-Series Embedded x86 CPU
Quad-core RX-421ND 2.1 GHz SoC (35W), Turbo Core up to 3.4 GHz
4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Allows optimized network traffic distribution for diverse applications
Supports direct audio output and provides verbal system warnings
- SSD Caching and 10GbE Connectivity
- The TS-873 supports the QM2 PCIe card that allows for adding up to two M.2 SSDs. You can configure SSD caching, or create a RAID 5 tiered storage along with the two M.2 SSDs in the NAS. As these M.2 SSDs will not occupy any 3.5" drive bays, the QM2 card allows you to maximize both your storage capacity and performance. There are also QM2 cards that include 10GbE 10GBASE-T connectivity to provide SSD caching with high-speed network connectivity on a single card.
Note: M.2 SSDs for NAS and QM2 cards are sold separately.
- SSD Cache with Qtier Optimization for Around-the-Clock Acceleration
- The TS-873 features SSD caching and also supports optional M.2 SATA III 6 Gb/s SSDs (sold separately). Using an SSD cache boosts overall system performance and is suitable for improving the overall workflow of random IOPS demanding applications such as virtualization. QNAP's Qtier technology also continuously optimizes storage efficiency by tiering files and data across M.2 SSDs, 2.5" SSDs, and high-capacity 3.5" SATA drives based on access frequency. Qtier 2.0 features IO awareness that empowers SSD-tiered storage with a cache-like reserved space to handle burst I/O in real time, greatly maximizing the advantages of an SSD.
Note: The M.2 SSD is optional. As M.2 SSD operations can easily generate excessive heat, it is recommended to install a heatsink (from QNAP or a third-party provider) on the M.2 SSD.
- Increased Computing Power and 4K Video Playback with a Graphics Card
- The TS-873 allows for installing a low-power graphics card (powered solely by the PCIe slot) to boost system performance. With a graphics card installed, the TS-873 also enables smoother video editing workflows and supports 4K UHD transcoding to deliver a strong multimedia experience. You can also use the QNAP remote control (sold separately) or the Qremote mobile app to use the NAS as a home theater device.
- Wireless Base Station
- Install a compatible PCIe wireless network card (for example: QNAP QWA-AC2600) on the TS-873 and use with the WirelessAP Station app to use your NAS as a wireless base station. Your mobile devices and computers can directly connect to your NAS for easy access to its services and Internet connection.
- Upgrade Your IT Environment with QNAP's 10GbE Switch
- QNAP 10GbE/NBASE-T unmanaged switches allow you to instantly upgrade your network environment at a cost-effective price. With a 10GbE network, you can enjoy fast transfer speeds, empower bandwidth-demanding tasks like virtualization, and enable simultaneous real-time access to large NAS-based files using multiple workstations (good for video editing and multimedia). QNAP also provides a 10GbE PCIe network expansion card for the TS-873 and Windows/Linux systems to take advantage of high-speed LAN environments.
- QTS Operating System
- With modularized multiple applications and functions, QTS enhances management efficiency, personal productivity, multimedia, and much more, making your NAS experience easier, efficient, and more flexible. The built-in App Center, with hundreds of install-on-demand apps, realizes near-limitless NAS functionality. Qboost provides a NAS optimization tool that helps accelerate applications, recover system resources, and schedule applications. QTS breaks the barriers of devices, platforms, and geography to bring you optimized cloud experiences and incorporates advanced features.
- Multiply Your Productivity
- The app-driven QTS operating system provides solutions for simplifying file backup, management, search, and more. With File Station, you can view and manage your files not only from NAS, but also from multiple storage devices; the OCR Converter allows you to extract text from images; Qfiling helps automate file organization, and Qsirch helps find files quickly.
Centralized File Management
Use File Station to directly access files on USB devices, including optical disc drives. Files from different devices can be easily viewed and managed on a single interface.
OCR Converter extracts text from images, helping to boost productivity and making it easier to find files.
Qfiling automates file organization. Files are automatically archived into folders based on your settings.
Qsirch quickly finds images, music, videos, documents, emails, and other files.
- Optimized Collaboration with File Sharing and Sync
- The TS-873 centrally stores data and various files, and supports SMB/CIFS, AFP, and NFS protocols for file sharing across Windows, Mac, and Linux/UNIX networks. Coupled with Qsync, a utility that turns a QNAP NAS into a safe, high-capacity data center for file synchronization, any file uploaded to the TS-873 will be made available for all linked devices, such as computers, laptops, and mobile devices. You can sync shared folders and team folders for group file sharing, enhancing the flexibility of team projects and collaboration. Files can be centrally managed using File Station, including files from mobile devices and optical disc drives. File Station also allows you to mount a remote NAS and transfer files between your NAS and public cloud services for greater convenience.
- Multi-OS Platform
- Virtualization Station and Container Station provide comprehensive solutions for creating virtualized environments to improve business IT infrastructure, workflows, and productivity.
- Virtualization Station
- Virtualization Station allows you to run multiple Windows, Linux, UNIX, and Android virtual machines on the TS-873. You can use Virtual Network Computing (VNC) through a browser to manage the VMs. Virtualization Station is made for organizations to run multiple applications on a single NAS.
- Container Station
- Container Station integrates LXC and Docker lightweight virtualization technologies. You can download apps from the built-in Docker Hub to import/export container apps and manage access control, enjoying the benefit of easy installation, transferability and high efficiency.
- Backup Solutions for Disaster Recovery Planning
- QNAP provides flexible backup and disaster recovery solutions to assist organizations in routine backup jobs with greater cost-efficiency and productivity.
Windows and Mac Backup
Use the free QNAP NetBak Replicator utility to backup/restore Windows files. Time Machine is also supported for Mac devices.
Hybrid Backup Sync
Consolidates backup, restoration, and synchronization functions (using RTRR, rsync, FTP, and CIFS/SMB) for transferring data to local, remote, and cloud storage spaces as a comprehensive data storage and disaster recovery plan.
Snapshots for Volume & LUN
Snapshots are essential for NAS data protection, and its block-level operation makes it a dependable method for mitigating the growing threat of ransomware. The TS-873 supports up to 256 snapshots per volume or LUN, and maximum 1024 snapshots per NAS.
With potentially huge storage capacities, high performance, integrated virtualization solutions, and support for snapshots that record the state of the system at any time, the TS-873 is designed for backing up virtual machines.
- QVR Pro Surveillance Solution
- QNAP's QVR Pro surveillance solution allows you to arrange a dedicated, independent storage space for surveillance data on TS-873 and leverage the advantages of scalability and storage manageability from QTS. With QVR Pro, camera management, storage space allocation, camera live viewing, and playback is greatly simplified. You can also use the QVR Pro Client mobile app to monitor your cameras, or use a USB webcam as an ONVIF network camera with the QUSBCam2 app.
Note: QVR Pro supports 8 free channels for surveillance monitoring (expandable to 128 channels with additional channel license purchase).
- Comprehensive Surveillance Solution for 24/7 Security
- The TS-873 provides an intelligent video management system that assists you with real-time monitoring, video & audio recording, and playback with a wide range of customizable settings to safeguard your work environment. You can use the Vmobile app to manage monitored channels anytime and anywhere with your mobile devices, or install the Vcam app to turn your mobile device into a network camera to instantly record to your NAS.
- Flexible and Economical Storage Expansion
- You need an easy solution to increase storage capacity when running out of space. QNAP provides several ways to expand your NAS storage as needed to accommodate data and business growth.
Upgrade RAID Capacity
Hot swap lower-capacity drives with larger-capacity drives so that your QNAP NAS can grow with your business.
Attach Expansion Enclosures
Connect two UX-800P or UX-500P or four REXP-1000 Pro expansion enclosures. This requires the SAS-12G2E PCIe expansion card and mini-SAS cable CAB-SAS10M-8644-8088 (both sold separately).
Use VJBOD (Virtual JBOD) to expand your storage capacity by using the unused storage of other QNAP NAS. Up to 8 QNAP NAS can be mounted as local disks on the TS-873.
Migrate to a New NAS
Install your NAS hard drives into a larger QNAP NAS and retain your existing data and configurations.
UPC: 885022015108 In the Box QNAP TS-873 8-Bay NAS Enclosure 2 x Ethernet Cables 2 x M.2 SSD Headsinks 2 x Flat Head Screws for M.2 SSDs 24 x Flat Head Screws for 2.5" HDDs Power Cord Limited 2-Year Warranty More info from QNAP tcsqqxbfwqyrsc Table of Contents
- More Productivity Applications
- IFTTT Agent
A popular web automation service for combining QNAP NAS and mobile devices/apps to customize NAS applets.
Centrally manage and switch between different email accounts, back up emails to the NAS, and safeguard email security and personal privacy.
Enable remote access through NAS browsers to access local LAN resources without going through complex VPN settings.
QIoT Suite Lite
Provides an IoT solution on a private cloud empowered by the high capacity and security of a QNAP NAS. It only takes three steps to deploy your own IoT application.
Mattermost turns your QNAP NAS into a team communication platform that allows for instant messaging and can centrally store all your conversations and files.
Simplify file access, NAS management, multimedia experience, surveillance, and download tasks with QNAP mobile apps.
Upload User Manual
Have you got an user manual for the QNAP TS-873 8-Bay NAS Enclosure in electronic form? Please send it to us and help us expand our library of instruction manuals.
Thank you, too, on behalf of other users.
To upload the product manual, we first need to check and make sure you are not a robot. After that, your "Submit Link" or "Upload File" will appear.
QNAP TS-873-8G-US Specs
| CPU || 2.1 GHz AMD R-Series RX-421ND Quad-Core (64-bit, up to 3.4 GHz) |
| Encryption Engine || AES-NI |
| System Memory || 8 GB of DDR4 RAM (2 x 4 GB) |
| Maximum Memory || 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) |
| Memory Slots || 4 x SO-DIMM DDR4 |
Note: For dual-or quad-DIMM configurations, you must use a pair of identical DDR4 modules
| Flash Memory || 512 MB DOM |
| Drive Bays || 8 x SATA III 6 Gb/s |
| Drive Compatibility || 3.5" SATA hard disk drives 2.5" SATA hard disk drives 2.5" SATA solid-state drives |
| M.2 SSD Slots || 2 x M.2 2260/2280 SATA III 6 Gb/s SSDs (sold separately) |
Note: M.2 SSD operations can easily generate excessive heat. It is recommended to install a heatsink (from QNAP or a third-party provider) on the M.2 SSD
| SSD Cache Acceleration Support || Drive bays 1 to 8 M.2 slots 1 to 2 Optional: M.2 SSD using QNAP QM2 PCIe expansion card |
| Hot-Swappable || Yes, except M.2 SSDs, SSD cache drives, and SSDs using PCIe expansion slots |
| Gigabit Ethernet Port || 4 x RJ45 Gigabit LAN ports |
| PCIe Slot || 2 x PCIe 3.0 x4 slots |
Note: Supports a low-profile 10GbE LAN card, 10 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 2 expansion card, QM2 card, PCIe wireless network card, or a bus-powered graphics card
| USB Ports || 4 x USB 3.0 Type-A ports (1 front, 3 rear) |
| Audio || 2 x 3.5 mm dynamic microphone jacks 1 x 3.5 mm line-out jack 1 x speaker |
Note: You cannot use the speakers and the line-out jack simultaneously
| USB One Touch Copy || Front: USB 3.0 |
| IR Sensor || Optional QNAP RM-IR004 remote control (MCE compatible) |
| Form Factor || Tower |
| Power Consumption || HDD Standby: 36.43 W |
In Operation: 70.26 W
| Sound Level || Sound Pressure (LpAm): 23.4 dBA |
| Power Supply Unit || 250 W, 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz |
| Fan || System: 2 x 120 mm |
CPU: 1 x 60 mm
| Operating Temperature || 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C |
| Relative Humidity || 5~95% RH non-condensing, wet bulb: 81°F / 27°C |
| Security Slot || Kensington security slot |
| Dimensions || 7.41 x 12.96 x 11.01" / 188.21 x 329.18 x 279.65 mm |
| Weight || 14.46 lb / 6.56 kg |
| Operating System || QTS 4.3.4 (embedded Linux) |
| Client Operating Systems || Apple Mac OS 10.7 or later Linux and UNIX Microsoft Windows 7, 8, and 10 Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, and 2016 |
| Supported Browsers || Apple Safari 7 or later Google Chrome Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 or later Mozilla Firefox |
| Supported Languages || Chinese (traditional and simplified), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, and Turkish |
| File System || Internal Hard Drives |
External Hard Drives
EXT3, EXT4, NTFS, FAT32, HFS+, and exFAT
Note: To use exFAT you must purchase an exFAT driver license from License Center
| Network & Virtual Switch || - TCP/IP: Dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6) |
- Jumbo frame (failover, multi-IP settings, port trunking/NIC teaming)
- DHCP server and client
- USB Wi-Fi adapter (Note: This feature does not support ad hoc networks because of security considerations)
- Virtual Switch
Virtual switch editing in Virtualization Station Combining virtual machines and containers in the same virtual switch Network Address Translation (NAT) Spanning Tree Protocol (STP)
- WirelessAP Station
| Security || Network access protection with auto-blocking (SSH, Telnet, HTTP(S), FTP, CIFS/SMB, and AFP) Host access control for shared folders (CIFS/SMB) 140-2 validated AES 256-bit volume-based and shared folder data encryption (FIPS) 256-bit external drive encryption (AES) Importing of SSL certificates from Let's Encrypt Instant alerts through email, SMS, push service, and audio 2-step verification |
| QVPN Service || VPN Server |
- Secure remote access with PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, and OpenVPN VPN services
- Support for a maximum of 100 clients
- Support for domain users
- Support for PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, and OpenVPN VPN protocols
- OVPN file importing for creation of OpenVPN connections
Easy VPN Connection (Windows VPN Utility)
Note: QVPN combines an integrated VPN Server, a VPN client, and L2TP/IPSec VPN services
| iSCSI (IP SAN) || iSCSI targets with multiple LUNs per target (Note: The maximum number of targets is 256) LUN mapping and masking Online LUN capacity expansion SPC-3 persistent reservation MPIO & MC/S iSCSI Extensions for RDMA (iSER) with VMware ESXi (Note: This feature requires an Intel or AMD-based NAS with a PCIe slot, and a compatible Mellanox network card) iSCSI LUN backup, one-time snapshot, and restoration Virtual disks using iSCSI initiator (Note: The maximum number of virtual disks is eight) Stack chaining master |
| Package Weight || 18.85 lb |
| Box Dimensions (LxWxH) || 16.7 x 15.6 x 11.6" |
Rating100% users recommend this product to others. And what about you?
This product has already been rated by 44 owners. Add your rating and experience with the product.
Ask our technicians if you have a problem with your settings,
or if anything is unclear in the user manual you have downloaded.
You can make use of our moderated discussion.
The discussion is public and helps other users of our website who may be encountering similar problems.
The discussion is empty - enter the first post
Post a new topic / query / comment:
|Request for user manual
You can’t find the operation manual you are looking for? Let us know and we will try to add the missing manual:
I’m looking for a manual / Request for manual
Current requests for instruction manuals:
Samsung Wireless Charger Duo pad with Wall Charger (AFC 25w)...
Pecific image prime film Xes super edition 35mm film scanner- user manual...
Pecific image prime film Xes super edition 35mm film scanner- user manual...
Bell & Howell Autoload 308 super 8 film video camera
Zoom lens F:10.5-26.5mm, f/1.9, reflex finder
Latest contributions to the discussion:|
Formato Formattazione SD
Klark Teknik DN32-LIVE SD SDHC and
Che formato di formattazione deve avere la SD da inserire?...
How to connect Adapt with PC
Name: Shibu Mammen
Harman Kardon Adapt Wireless HD Audio
How can I connect my laptop with HK AVR 151S through HK Adapt? I want to listen the songs in my laptop in the HK AVR 151S audio system...
no picture just sound
Name: Terrance Brennan
Quasar SQ3210A 32" Class HD LED
i have no picture just sound while tv channels changes need help please.
thank you Terrance...
NBP Battery pack
Name: Michael Baker
Nitecore NBP68 Advanced Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery
I am getting the nitecore NBP68 HD battery pack just wandered if I have to do anything to maintain it?
Don’t want to over charge it. Should I let it run completely down then fully recharge every so often?
Thanks for the info...
HP Wireless Keyboard and Mouse 800
Very interesting idea